Looks like the world is not ending, so it is time to start reminiscing the close of yet another year. 2012 was full of emotions, especially with the Newtown shooting and the recent election. However, like always, every year has its’ trends and spotlight stories, so here are some of the trends that I have gradually noticed throughout the past year.
1. The Hunger Games: This series, written by Suzanne Collins, had become even more popular with the release of its’ first movie in March. According to the Box Office Mojo, “The Hunger Games” movie made over $408 million in the box office during theater time. People impatiently wait for the second movie, “Catching Fire,” which will be released in 2013.
2. Social Media: The increased use of social media became evident during this year’s election, as well as other events including the shooting in Newtown and the end of the Mayan calendar. Sites such as Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, Google Plus and even Pinterest have seen an increase in users.
3. Instagram: Speaking of social media, Instagram has a popular app where people can take, edit and share pictures with others in a few easy steps. The most crucial point for Instagram this year was when Facebook purchased the company, changing the set up for Instagram online, in the app, and recently stopped showing up on Twitter photo galleries.
4. Spotify: Another popular application that makes music easy to share and listen to. With a simple membership you can access unlimited music, whatever artist or song you desire, at the tips of your fingers. These activities were in hopes for people to access whatever music they please without having to illegally download it.
5. Emojis: With the increase sales and use of iPhones, the Emoji language became and even bigger hit. Sending small symbols, smiley faces or even animals became quite popular amongst iPhone users. Emojis can even be found inside Twitter feeds.
6. Gangnam Style: After reaching 1 billion views on YouTube, PSY’s “Gangnam Style” proves to be one of the most popular videos and dancing styles of the year.
7. Pumpkin Spice: EVERYTHING Pumpkin Spice is a hit! Thanks to the favorited Pumpkin Spice Latte at Starbucks, people are started to see Pumpkin Spice flavored coffee, pastries and desserts all around the country.
8. Thrift Shopping: Macklemore and Ryan Lewis, thank you for showing us that thrift shopping is actually cool. Their song “Thrift Shop,” feat. Wanz, is the perfect example to the young adult culture of today. Thrift shops have proven to be perfect for college budgets, and luckily the style is IN style!
9. Chambray Shirts: It seems that the usual combination of colored shirts and regular jeans are starting to do a reversal. Chambray shirts have now become a trend, easy to match with a pair of leggings, colored jeans, a dress or even underneath a sweater. Comfortable, and can be worn in multiple contexts.
10. Crafting: Thanks to the Pinterest, Tumblr and numerous blogs, crafting has become a new thing to do amongst many. Some popular crafts include melting crayon paintings, elbow patches, and hanging pictures.
11. One Direction: You may not know it, but did you know you’re beautiful? The band “One Direction” has been hitting the top charts this year along with famous artists Taylor Swift, Justin Bieber and Nikki Minaj. They are making boy band infatuations cool again, especially with their hit song “What Makes You Beautiful.”
12. Alex and Ani Bracelets: These energy bracelets have one simple look, but their numerous charm designs allows a person to create their personality via the bracelets. Instead of having one charm bracelet, you collect numerous bracelets with one charm, creating a gypsy look with any outfit.
(photo credit: The Hunger Games)